Proper Care for Your Dentures
Proper care for your dentures is vital! Learn more about your new oral appliance! There are specific steps to take, as noted below.
Keep a Good Routine of Care
Caring for your dentures can be separated into three main times, morning, after eating, and night. After years of having natural teeth, it can take some getting used to a new routine but with practice, it will become second nature to you!
The Morning Routine
- After you wake up and before putting in your dentures, gently clean the roof of your mouth, tongue, gums, and cheeks.
- When you remove your dentures from the soaking solution, thoroughly rinse them. Denture cleaning solutions have harmful chemicals that you do not want in your mouth!
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush to clean all surfaces of your dentures with a mixture of soap and warm water.
- Be very careful as you handle your dentures since they can break and chip if dropped.
Just as it is recommended to clean your teeth after eating, it is important to clean your dentures after eating. After removing them, run water over them to remove food particles and debris. This will keep your gums free of bacteria from residual food sitting on them.
The Nightly Routine
- Never go to bed wearing your dentures! Your bones and gums need a chance to relax from the pressure of dentures resting on them. Sleep is a perfect time for this!
- Store them properly overnight. We recommend putting them in a denture cleaner to soak. This keeps them moist so they do not dry out.
- After removing them, don’t forget to clean your mouth with a soft tooth brush or gauze so it is fresh for sleep.
Maintain Your Dental Check-Ups
Just because you no longer have teeth, it is still important to get your mouth and dentures check by a dentist to ensure everything is in proper working order. Give us a call to schedule!